Thursday, February 20, 2014

Valentine's Day, Part Two

The second and final day of my VDay festivities was a partially themed dinner on Valentine's Day itself.

I know, not a lot of fanfare. Especially compared to what I tend to plan in my head. We've established by now that mental!me has a lot more energy and a lot less liking for sleep then real!me. She huffs at me regularly. ::P

As much as I enjoy our theme projects and activities, it doesn't mean I'm not just as bad about arranging them as I am about anything else. I tend to forget to plan stuff far enough ahead, so by the time I remember it's sorta last minute and there isn't time to do much, or I've forgotten to make sure we had the supplies needed for something or other.

Smaller holidays are kinda weird. They're as hyped as Christmas or Halloween, but people don't do as much physically for them. I mean, you have your roses and chocolates and romantic dinners for Valentine's Day and baskets and egg hunts for Easter, but in terms of decorating or prolonged themed activity? You look a little weird if you bust out much of anything before a week or two ahead of time. Even the people I do know who like to decorate for all of them usually only do a fraction of what they'd do for bigger ones. I guess that's the point of being a smaller holiday. Maybe it's just that they tend to all happen early to mid month, whereas the later holidays all happen at the end of the month.

I remember a house in our neighborhood when we lived in Maine. It was right on the corner of an intersection in the middle of town with a tiny little yard. It was actually a cute little bitty place, but you wouldn't have paid it any mind if it weren't for the fact that it was painted bright purple and always completely over decorated for every holiday. It was kind of an eyesore, like a singular embodiment of Wal-Marts seasonal sections. You couldn't help but think the owners must be a little kooky...but at the same time it wouldn't have been a normal day without that house there like it always was, kooky and all.

I'm rambling on now, but I guess the point (if there is a point) is that it's easier to indulge in the simple enjoyment of holiday hype when others are doing it too. Otherwise it feels too childish, like you're wasting time doing too much because what purpose does all that serve if you don't have kids around or a lover or it's not one of the holidays where that doesn't matter?

I always have grand plans of doing and trying all this stuff, but the everyday stuff gets in the way or I lose momentum and I end up trying to cram what I can in in a day. I need to get better at spreading it out, even if it feels too early or too silly. Cause waiting always winds up with it feeling too late. Not a lot of point after the fact.

But enough ruminating.

I did heart shaped cheeseburger calzones (is it still a calzone if it isn't pizza?). Cheeseburger because I didn't have pizza ingredients but I didn't want to do philly cheesesteak again. Paired with heart shaped rolls, spaghetti, and mozzarella sticks. A 'hearty' fake Italian meal.

Hang on while I smack myself for that awful pun...



I was really happy that the rolls kept their shape. Simple thing to be happy about, but sometimes I have problems with even the simplest things. Actually, the simple things give me the most problems the majority of the time.



Calzones came out great too. None came apart or anything, and they tasted SO good. What is it about wrapping things in bread that makes anything so much better? It's as effective as adding butter or bacon, the awesome is multiplied.



I did make some red chocolate chip cookies for dessert, but forgot to take pictures. I had planned on making them heart shaped too, but I just didn't have the energy to mess with that. The red was enough, even though they look like play dough cookies.

So, there you have it, the entirety of my Valentine activities. Well, not all. I did get a ton of VDay pins collected on Pinterest. ::P

Here endeth the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment