Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Chicken Pictures and Other Randomness

Two posts in a week, look at me go! ::P I doubt I'll keep this up. Actually, I doubt I'll keep up once a week, but who cares?

A completely random post. I just felt like it. No real point, even in the context of this blog, but I have such a hang up for doing things in order. It was going to be the fourth post, but the super bowl distracted me. V-Day stuff will be coming up and this will have even less point if I don't do it now.

~*~


Food Coma

I was definitely still suffering from a food hangover today. My get up and go got up and went sometime before I got up, and somehow I still felt full. Breakfast didn't help. I ran smack into one of my bad food habits - habit itself and bad portion sizes. We ate kinda late for breakfast so TPU and I had eggs on burger patties (it's really good, especially with cheese and onion and barbecue sauce and relish, and a few dehydrated pepper flakes sprinkled on the eggs) while TMU just had eggs. We threw in the last standing corn dog muffins and mozzarella sticks to finish them off, there weren't many left. I set up their eggs, two for each, and my own single egg.

It wasn't until I had served them and was plating my own that I realized I had fried two for myself instead of one, shorting TMU completely by accident. They'd had scrambled so she hadn't noticed, but I felt bad. She doesn't like her eggs with all the crap I put on mine, so I couldn't even share to make up for it. I'm just so used to making two eggs and I must have gone on autopilot.

As yummy as it was I couldn't finish half of it, and spent the rest of the afternoon feeling that special brand of crappy from when you've eaten too much too many days in a row. I made a point of not eating at all the rest of the day, only drinking water and soda. Clearly need to let my system clear itself out more.

~*~


Signs of Spring

Just because I happened to notice the buds on the tree outside the house today.



~*~


Happy Chicken Stuff


Musical Dust Baths

Last week sometime I happened to look out the window at the chickens doing their thing, like I do anytime they're let loose. I love just watching them.

Dust baths for our chickens are like nightclubs. One or two spring up and everyone wants to go to THAT one, and will harrass whoever has it till they move and the next one temporarily takes their place. Then as soon as it rains and packs the dirt down again - or not even, just another one springs up to distract them - they abandon it. I want to build them their own little sandbox that's out of the weather so they can always happily throw sand around anytime they want. They never seem to go for the same ones twice.

We've been working on hoeing out the garden plots to make sure they're ready for spring planting. The garden isn't fenced off yet, so the girls spend as much time there as they do anywhere else in the yard. Which we certainly don't mind, less fertilizer we have to add! The loose part of course became a target for dust bathing, Twinnie especially seemed to prefer it. Apparently it became the latest hotspot when I wasn't looking, because this is what I saw:

The communal baths of Rome reborn. Hope they're not bringing back the Vomitorium too. O_o
Rooty, Twinnie, Scruffy Butt and Baldy.


Usually they all run to me expecting treats when I go out, so I was surprised they stayed put long enough for me to take a picture. ::D I went back in, happy with my random chicken pictures. While clearly enjoying the freshly tilled earth, they were apparently dissatisfied with the perfection of those particular dust baths. I found one or the other of them in two more spots within an hour or so.

Can you spot the chicken?
There she is! This one is Bertha.


Twinnie's final choice for a dust bath leaves something to be desired...


It really was like they were playing musical chairs, cause there were smaller numbers each time but always in a group. No idea if they ever found that days perfect dust bath, but it was funny watching her try!


Foraging

Taken just before the sad chicken stuff.



Glinda, Scrawny Neck, Maleficent and Scruffy Butt.



Glinda's Photo Shoot


What? I'm busy!

I see you back there...

Talk to the fluffy butt.

She reminds me of a Velociraptor here. Chickens look mean up close. ::P



Bertha and Twinkie


She didn't feel like posing today.

Twinkie with a tail!


~*~


Sad Chicken Stuff

We lost Scrawny Neck today. She'll get her own post a little later. Like I said I like doing things in order and she deserves her own post, even if it's a short one, but I wanted to mention her. She got picked off by a damned hawk half her size not long after I took the above photos. Just there it was perched over her, out of the blue. Really crappy way to see your first hawk up close. Thankfully the others are OK, but....poor Scrawny Neck.

~*~


Bath Time.

Why do I always get ideas at the most inconvenient times? I keep a notebook handy at all time because I always seem to think of something in the car, in the store, wherever. At home too, repetetive tasks like chopping tomatoes seem to trigger my brain. Trying to sleep is probably the most common time, this is why I have a flashlight handy so I can see to scribble without getting out of bed. Not that I can read my writing the next morning of course. But the other day took the cake. I got an idea that I just HAD to write down before I forgot it.

While I was in the tub.
Shampooing my hair.
Sigh.

I've also discovered that Dusty quite likes this particular tub. She's always been the type to follow me into the bathroom or sit outside the door till I come out (scent marking the doorjamb) but she usually gets bored quickly and wants out when I'm soaking in the tub. This time she followed me right in, wandered around while I got settled, then jumped right up on the ledge of the tub and laid down on my towel. She stayed there the whole time. Even while I was splashing around getting clean, as climbed over her to get out, and while I was drying off and nearly hit her with the corner of the towel. Of course I got a second towel. She looked up at me and mewled when I reached for mine and hugged it tighter. Really.

That cat didn't move till half an hour after I left.

Did the same thing the next night. I planned ahead and got her her own towel. Nearly killed myself climbing over her because she jumped up and laid down before I'd even got in, and this is a deep tub with a wiiiide ledge. With a cat who doesn't want to be disturbed on it.

It's a good thing she didn't decide to follow me tonight, I wouldn't have had the energy to contort around her. When am I going to learn not to run the water quite so hot right from the get go? I thought I was going to melt or throw up. I keep forgetting the fan I bring with me doesn't do that much good when there's that much water that hot. Though of course it helps, I probably would have thrown up without it. I like the sting of hot water to begin with but I've always been the warm one. I've been known to run the AC in winter. By the time I realize I'm a little too warm, it's too late. Even cold water doesn't help much. Short bath tonight.

And to think I had been contemplating a warm cup of coffee when I got out. I'm not a coffee nut (that's TPU's territory, it's practically all he drinks) but we haven't made any sugar free cocoa recently, and anyway it has less sugar and carbs as long as I east up on the milk. Though coffee is better with some sort of flavoring.

~*~


Here endeth the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment