Monday, January 20, 2014

The Obligatory Introductory Post

Have you ever thought about what stuck with you from school, besides the knowledge that you probably only partially remember years later? Habits, impressions, things you were taught to do and just never really stopped?

I have two that are still particularly prominent. One is really small handwriting, a result of a bunch of my classmates and I in grade school competing with each other to see who could write the tiniest (and driving our teacher mad in the process since we were using our schoolwork as the playing field). For whatever reason that habit stuck hard and fast, and now my writing more resembles centuries old chicken scratch then an actual written language.

Yep, I'm one of those people that sometimes can't read their own writing.

Another is always dating and titling everything I write. I'm just slightly obsessive about this, actually. Pretty much anything short of a temporary to do list gets the date and some kind of header marking the subject.

It's a particularly useful habit since I'm also the type to scribble things down on whatever random scrap of paper is handy. In my rush to get the thoughts safely on paper (I tend to forget the details of one thing if I let my thought process run too far ahead, I swear my mind is like a sieve) I write too fast, don't quite form the words properly, and use short phrases that I can't always decipher later without that header. 

This first post is kind of the same thing. Not that it's necessary to be able to understand anything in the posts beyond, but because without it I don't feel like I've started this whole thing properly. ::P

This is my first attempt at a blog. I never really thought about them before. If I did it was probably as just something people used mostly for SRS BSNS like news and current events. Julie & Julia - a good movie, though Julia's (Meryl Streep's) parts are the best - brought them more to my attention when I saw it, but it wasn't until I got into Pinterest (that wonderful, evil site) that I was really catapulted into blogs headfirst and realized just how useful, creative and inspirational many of them are.

They still seemed pretty much for those with something particular to talk about, a specific passion to share, so the occasional thoughts I'd have of starting one seemed kind of silly. I wouldn't have any idea where to start picking just one interest to focus on - not the only place I've run into this hang up, but that's another post. I also couldn't really imagine anyone finding what I wrote that interesting and that's the point of it, isn't it? Getting attention, sharing yourself or your passion with other people.

But the ideas never really went away and after some (exasperated) encouragement from my  lovely Maternal Unit I finally figured "What the hell?" What's January for if not for fresh starts and trying new things? I am prone to random whims (hence the name I chose) and not actually keeping up with or finishing projects that I start,  but who knows? Maybe this will be one that I actually do right. If nothing else, I lose nothing for trying it.

Despite the fantasy that I'll become famous or have an impact on someones life with this blog (come on, people have gotten internet famous just for posting pictures of their cat online, it's gonna cross my  mind ::P) if I'm realistic I'll admit it's not going be anything special.

At the least maybe I'll keep up with it better then I do a physical journal. Certainly it'll serve much the same purpose, which in itself is valuable. I think people don't always manage to document enough of their whole personality to look back on. Or maybe that's another one of my obsessive tendencies (a desire to preserve for posterity as much of what I'm like as possible, and the wish that others did more of the same) talking. We document the big stuff, remember the important things, the highs and lows that made us dizzy with how fast they'd blend into each other. But the small things? The little quirks, the bits and pieces that aren't really important but still flesh out who we are, those get lost so easily.

That's what this blog will be. Random slices of my everyday life and personality that I put out here for no other reason then that I can. From crafting to home improvement, resolutions and goals to fandom rants and ruminations, and everything in between. Maybe there will even be a bit of the stereotypical quest to improve or discover myself and what I want out of the rest of my life. ::P I have no idea.

We'll find out together. ::)

No comments:

Post a Comment